Friday, June 13, 2008

5 loaves of bread, 2 bottles of wine, and thou.....

When I first learned of the city's best-kept secret about a month ago, I became fixated on when I could get a ressie and with whom would accompany me to this mecca of all things Italian. The ressie can only be obtained the day of and the phone lines open at 10 am. Luckily, my HLM was in town from across the pond so all systems were a "GO" on Monday evening at 7:30. Del Posto Enotecca, here we come.

We arrived early to get a glass of wine at the bar - the bartender really made quite the impression when I told him what I preferred and he gave me three different tasting glasses of each. Now, one glass deep, we were ready to embark on the great 5-course Batali/Bastianich adventure.

The bread: a wonderful assortment served with rich butter and a generous dollop of lardo. We also requested olive oil which was very light and sweet.

After hounding the poor waiter (who looked about 19) with translation questions and his opinion on pretty much each dish, we were ready to divide and conquer: I started with the calamari fritti (in a light but decadent butter sauce with just enough heat) and Katie with the insalata ventresca. Both a nice, light pace before jumping into the pasta tasting courses.

Now, if you know anything about me or Katie, you know that we love a nice homemade carbohydrate. Both the orecchiette with tender rabbit and garganelli with a veal, beef and lamb ragu were incredibly well-seasoned yet not too heavy for the 100-degree heat.


Finally, dessert: I was completely in shock that there were no show-stopping chocolate tortes or a mousse of some sort so I had to get over it pretty quickly and make a gametime decision to go with the assortment of gelati and sorbet. I'll say this: I like gelati...when I'm in Italy. Katie's cheese plate ended up winning Battle: Dessert with some nice sheep's and cow's milk varieties.

In general, it was quite the over-the-top Italian experience. Next time, work on those desserts, and I'll be back in a heartbeat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - that sounds to me like one "hot" table!! I want to be invited next time!

Le Disher said...

who are you anonymous?!? isn't this a two-way conversation?!