Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The BBQ Debate of '08...

So every New Yorker has their ideal BBQ place: some like Hill Country for it's authentic meat-on-table experiences; Blue Smoke is your high-brow BBQ destination and for me, well, I prefer RUB.

After my friend spotted Mario Batali sitting near the window at 10 am on a weekend, I decided I had to try it.

My party, which merged Lee's posse (Mondel, Danny, Milgram and Lindsay) with mine (Halpal - she loves a good BBQ spread), started with the wings - deliciously meaty and smothered in a sweet and spicy sauce. We were all licking each and every finger clean. Definitely a repeat order.

Next up was the brisket sandwich that Halpal and I shared. While she loved it, I thought the bread got in the way of the brisket and it was a little dry for my taste (and thus, I totally smothered it with the BBQ sauce on the table).

Another obvious choice were the BBQ chili cheese fries - super messy but super worth it. Topped with chili and cheddar cheese with just a hint of brown sugar sweetness, these fries rocked my world to put it lightly. The fact that I chose to gorge on these instead of Lee's turkey plate (with cornbread, mind you!) and my half rack of BBQ ribs really speaks volumes. I know, they look pretty overwhelming here, but I SWEAR:

So, if you're in the market for a 10,000-calorie meal, definitely stop into RUB. The service is good, the beer is better and the fries and wings are the best. You won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Normally this sounds great. Right now I might throw up.