Thursday, May 1, 2008

The burger debate of '08 continues...

As I criss-cross the country in search of the perfect burger, yesterday's lunch time destination proved to be quite a contender as one of the best burgers ever.

The Outlook meeting maker started blinking at 12:15 to remind me that we were oh-so-very-close to Burger Joint's most-perfect burger. Once the clock hit 12:30 we were off and running like the Triple Crown-bred foodies that we are to Le Parker Meridien's Burger Joint.

A decidedly non-trendy, uber-kitschy type joint, Burger Joint is the quintessential dive burger place amidst the wood-paneled offices of Midtown. As "Ride, Sally, Ride" blasted on the stereo and men in suits carried away their greasy brown paper bags filled with deliciousness, we staked out our table and ordered according to the hand-written protocol:
- plain or cheese
- rare, medium-rare, medium, medium-well, well
- tomato, onion, lettuce, pickle, mustard, ketchup, mayo or "THE WORKS"


After a slight mix up between my burger and Karen's "The Works," we began to munch. I ended up with The Works and honestly, I could not have been more pleased with the mixing of the condiments (sorry, Hal) and the crispy pickles, lettuce and thinly sliced red onion. With each bite, I knew this was one of the top burgers I'd ever eaten.

The meat: perfectly charred outside, really moist, flavorful pink inside
The bun: a traditional Arnold's roll that stood up to The Works and didn't crumble one bit on me
The fries: slightly reminiscent of Wendy's - they were perfectly crispy on the outside and super soft on the inside

Net-net, it's one of the top burger's I've ever ingested. Second only to Art's, in Fayetteville, AR, of course.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is my first post Robs!

I love the burger joint! I used to go there all the time last year .. its so good!! The fries are delish!

ps - When you go that falafel guy on the street .. let me know. I lovee falafels!!

Le Disher said...

obviously will tell you when Kwik Meal and I meet again. can you not have class, please? : )

Unknown said...

not even close to the best burger in NY...first off Pauls is the best...and capital grille burger is amazing as well...